Hello,
I've been wanting to write this for a while now but nervousness, coupled with the desire I had to achieve more before I shared my story. This morning however, I thought to myself "someone might need this right now", so here goes...
I left paid employment a little over 4 months ago.
DO IT AFRAID!
I was unfulfilled, unchallenged, bored out of my mind, getting out of
bed in the morning was war and it didn't help that I had not been paid
for 6 months.
I took a good look at my situation and said to myself "babe, what in the world are you still doing here? Them swear for you ni?"
I couldn't utilize my skills, couldn't express my passion, It wasn't as if the pay even made sense. I was done! And I meant it this time.
I've been wanting to write this for a while now but nervousness, coupled with the desire I had to achieve more before I shared my story. This morning however, I thought to myself "someone might need this right now", so here goes...
I left paid employment a little over 4 months ago.
DO IT AFRAID!
I was unfulfilled, unchallenged, bored out of my mind, getting out of
bed in the morning was war and it didn't help that I had not been paid
for 6 months.I took a good look at my situation and said to myself "babe, what in the world are you still doing here? Them swear for you ni?"
I couldn't utilize my skills, couldn't express my passion, It wasn't as if the pay even made sense. I was done! And I meant it this time.
I grew up baking and picked up cooking skills along the way, mum was a
qualified caterer getting a B.Sc and an M.Sc hadn't dulled my love for
it even though it wasn't what I had planned to do as my major career.
I had been doing it as a side business along with my day job. This meant going to work bleary-eyed the days I had been up all night, cooking or decorating cakes.
I was a more than a little annoyed with myself at the time I decided to leave because I had lost a lot of money in bad investments when I could have left earlier and channelled it into my business.
I started in my parents garage, it was not very convenient but it was the only place I could use at the time.
Then I took a bold step, I took a loan of half a million from someone close (I did it afraid oh! lol), added it to what was left of my savings and my long overdue salary that was eventually paid; got more equipments and started the search for an apartment. It was a long search, those of us that live in Lagos know the hassles of looking for a house especially in choice areas.
I eventually got something that suited me and I moved in mid-october.
I'm making it sound so easy shey? You can bet it wasn't. I don't want to bore you with details, suffice it to say that it is one of the hardest things I have ever done. There have been days when I can't rub two notes together lol, but I'd look around me and be overwhelmed with how far God has brought me, I'd stop my ears with music and walk all the way home with a full heart.
My loan is half paid and my place, though minimally furnished is comfortable to work in and train students in.
I'm taking it one step at a time. I'll be back with my success story someday soon.
I'll say this, no matter how hard the going gets, dig in your nails, plant your feet firmly and hold on with everything you've got. Sometimes all you have to do is just hold on.
(c) Angela Momoh at SmartBCamp
I had been doing it as a side business along with my day job. This meant going to work bleary-eyed the days I had been up all night, cooking or decorating cakes.
I was a more than a little annoyed with myself at the time I decided to leave because I had lost a lot of money in bad investments when I could have left earlier and channelled it into my business.
I started in my parents garage, it was not very convenient but it was the only place I could use at the time.
Then I took a bold step, I took a loan of half a million from someone close (I did it afraid oh! lol), added it to what was left of my savings and my long overdue salary that was eventually paid; got more equipments and started the search for an apartment. It was a long search, those of us that live in Lagos know the hassles of looking for a house especially in choice areas.
I eventually got something that suited me and I moved in mid-october.
I'm making it sound so easy shey? You can bet it wasn't. I don't want to bore you with details, suffice it to say that it is one of the hardest things I have ever done. There have been days when I can't rub two notes together lol, but I'd look around me and be overwhelmed with how far God has brought me, I'd stop my ears with music and walk all the way home with a full heart.
My loan is half paid and my place, though minimally furnished is comfortable to work in and train students in.
I'm taking it one step at a time. I'll be back with my success story someday soon.
I'll say this, no matter how hard the going gets, dig in your nails, plant your feet firmly and hold on with everything you've got. Sometimes all you have to do is just hold on.
"JUST BECAUSE YOU FEEL FEAR DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T DO IT, DO IT AFRAID!"Thank you John Obidi for this awesome community I'm mighty glad to be a part of and everyone of you that post here everyday, you may never know what you do. I appreciate you.
(c) Angela Momoh at SmartBCamp
Post a Comment