Thursday, 16 November 2017

Be Focused by John Obidi

It’s just funny how when I’m daydreaming or deep in imagination, the reality in that thought cocoon is that I’m a 30-year old man. 

Related image

Just the other day, someone asked my age and I answered matter-of-factly, 30.
It’s funny because though I turned 31 in September, it’s like my subconscious mind keeps cancelling the ‘1’ just to keep me at 30. 

The adulthood I was eager for when I was a kid has come, and now my mind is striving to slow it down. 

But I’m grateful for where I’m at. The peace of mind, direction, wisdom, clarity of purpose, physical well-being, emotional maturity and yes, financial & time freedom I currently enjoy will not be traded for anything. 

I look back now on my 20s. 

The long nights I spent mastering computer programming and improving my knowledge of self; the days I deprived myself of the world’s definition of youthful enjoyment; when I was called names by peers due to my family’s meager means.
Back then, the definition of success was who was dating the hot girl in the class, who knew the latest Usher dance and who had Rocawear baggy jeans. 

Today, the hot girl, Usher and Rocawear baggy jeans are old news.
Now, the definition of success is who was able to live their dreams after graduation; and who found happiness. 

For those of you who feel like the world is leaving you behind, don’t get weary.
If you’re having second thoughts about being focused and principled, stay strong. 

It takes 21 years to be 21 years old.
Well, in this case, 31.
I’m 31 years old.
I need to remember that.


(c) J.O. on SmartBCamp


Post a Comment

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search